<<<

 

 

 

Carmel of Our Lady and Saint Joseph

Concord , New Hampshire

 

 

The Daughters of American settlers and the English women who in 1790 brought the Carmelite mystical tradition from Belgium to the Atlantic shores, founded the first community of religious women in the Thirteen Colonies. They settled in Maryland , and the community they established continues to this day as the Carmel of Baltimore. Our Concord Carmel is the “grand daughter” of this historic community, having been founded in 1946 by the Carmel of Boston which came directly from Baltimore.

 

Arriving in Concord in June 1946, the Foundresses adapted a home on Bridge Street to serve as a Monastery. The community was happy there, but as vocations multiplied, a later, more permanent building was seen as desirable. With the encouragement of Bishop Brady and the support of many Concord friends, a new property was found and ground broken for the present Monastery in September 1950. The Sisters moved to the new location on Pleasant Street on the feast of Saint Joseph , 1952. It took several years for the Monastery and Chapel to be completed, and at last in September 1963, the Chapel was consecrated by the then Bishop Primeau. Our Foundress, Mother Aloysius, did not live to see that glorious day. She died in April 1961 but her spirit continues to animate the community she so loved and that she guided with such wisdom and gentleness.


         



Our call is lived out in a small community where prayer not only gives meaning to relationships, study, work, leisure, but is fed by these activities of an ordinary human life. The Eucharist is the center of our day, its worship prolonged in the liturgy of the hours. Solitary prayer is the primary expression of our eremitical roots.


    


      


There is a simplicity and ordinariness in our community -----

and a natural flow and ease in our relationships with one another.

 

    

Our Monastery is a silent place —- yet it resounds with love

and laughter when we come together.

 


In this house ... all must be friends, all must be loved, all must

be held dear, all must be helped.

 

SAINTERESA


click on photos below to enlarge

 

 

 

 

     
     

......

          

 

 

     
     
   

 

Carmelite Monastery
275 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301-2590
(603) 225-5791
E-mail: carmel.concordnh@verizon.net



 

Site Map